Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your blog header

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by Raymond, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Raymond

2. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

Hey Raymond,
    My preferance would be to use a graphic header and or logo, as it just looks better than the text one.
    Most themes will also use your text added (for your site name) as "alt" text anyway, wich is the same as a text header but you also get the added SEO benefit of the "ALT" tag embeded into the logo.

Hope that helps!

Steven

3. wander_n_wonder

Some graphics would definitely help and it really appeals to audiences who are very visual. If your layout looks boring, people won't be motivated to keep on coming back. However, you would not want to overdo it as well, as too much graphics will tend to make your blog slower too, and that can be rather annoying for audiences.

As long as you keep it well-balanced, you are good to go.

4. teabwoi

I like to make my own logo because honestly to me I just think that it looks more professional then just having text up there you know. Its just a certain look that it has that I just really like to make my own. I mean if you can find a text that does not look so bad then you can use it but I just like to make my own logo because it just looks more professional.

5. Panda

Honestly, my websites don't have a logo (yet). All they have is a text (the name of my website) on the header. It's so simple, it looks like crap. Haha! I'm still looking for a logo that would fit my site.

Still, Da Vinci once said that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. I'll be content with my text header for now. :D

6. deansaliba

My graphics skills are absolutely abysmal so I normally relay on some nice text to display my blog name until I get around to hiring someone to create a banner or logo for me. One thing I normally ALWAYS insist on thought is a space in the header of a WordPress theme for me to place a banner ad. I've actually dropped themes before because they have not had space in them for a banner ad. :)

7. Soulwatcher

8. SimplySidy

Nope. I dont recommend Graphics on the header. The simple logic is - Images take longer to load and if the graphics is good quality in Resolution it complicates things. Today, much of the graphics (and even animations) can be done via CSS3 and HTML 5. So why not use them to get the things done? They will always keep things faster and also will not pose an issue if the site is responsive or mobile friendly.

Agreed, the logo is an essential part and if you have one iit is always advisable to use it, but then, if you are a person who has just a blog and would not like to invest much on a Logo Designed for you, then, probable you should not.

As for the real visitors, they are more interested in the overall look and feel and the content on your blog, not your design. Design may be great for a while, but in the long run, that doesnt count much for a regular visitor.

9. themonk3y

No I have not used an image in the header yet but after reading this post I really want to get a good looking header for my website. I have heard you can get some good logos created on Fiverr. I have a little graphic designing experience but I am no expert in creating logos.

10. Manoj

11. TIEro

A logo - always, always, always (unless it's a basic personal site).

What's the first thing you notice when you go to a professional company site? The logo. Virtually no pro site has a simple text title, because they want brand recognition, and images work ten times better for that.

I use cooltext.com for simple texty logos - good enough to make them stand out, costs nothing. If you're going pro, get a proper logo designed: it's worth the investment, especially since you can pick them up on Fiverr for a few dollars.