Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress Upgrading WordPress; Issues with database

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by WordPress.org Forums », Dec 4, 2017.

1. WordPress.org Forums »

Upgrading WordPress; Issues with database, by

I’m trying to upgrade a very out of date site from WP 4.2.2 to the latest version of wordpress using the automated upgrade process. It downloads and updates the php files just fine but I’m seeing an error in my apache error logs that say the following:
    WordPress database error Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes for query ALTER TABLE wp_site CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci made by wp_upgrade, upgrade_network, maybe_convert_table_to_utf8mb4

As a result when I try to sign into my site after the fact I get the following message display when trying to go to /wp-admin.

Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.

The site is currently running 4.2.2 in a MU configuration. Previously it was running on an older version of Mysql and now I’m attempting to move it to a MariaDB database as a part of the upgrade. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Upgrading WordPress; Issues with database