Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress or your own server?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by Smith, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Smith

2. chocolate

3. sparks

I own a VPS (or two, or three...) and use them to host my WordPress websites. It gives me full control over every aspect of both the server and WordPress. When I develop WordPress sites for people, I tend to set them up with a shared hosting account through a provider such as HostGator or Surpass Hosting.

I don't really like the idea of using wordpress.com because of the limitations (although they are few) that are imposed. I'd rather be able to do whatever I want with it.

4. SimplySidy

Long back when I had my firs blog, Wordpress and Blogger (then BlogSpot) had just started. I had a blog on each that time. But today, of course, there is nothing like having one on your own hosted environment - I mean - under your own control and with your own domain. The biggest advantage is - in such cases, there is nothing like - "my blog just vanished" kind of thing (unless of course if you fail to renew the domain name :p)

5. Allison2021

Wow! SimplySidy wrote, "The biggest advantage is - in such cases, there is nothing like - "my blog just vanished" kind of thing (unless of course if you fail to renew the domain name :p)" I didn't think that was possible.
    I did not know that. I though once, you created your blog then that was it, forever. I thought it was similar to signing a permanent contract.

Every blogger should understand that you must RENEW the DOMAIN Name!

I am happier that I joined this forum! Thanks for that vital information.

6. SimplySidy

I lost my blogs on Blogger (Blogspot) - One of them they said, it was copied content and the other they said it was about ways to hack applications which was against their policies.

Then, there was a phase when I was on the bed for 8 months in 2008 and during this time, my Wordpress (free) blogs went down - one was reported of inactivity and the other was messed up by hackers and so they pulled it down.

Blogspot (or Blogger) frequently keeps doing this even today as two of my friends lost their blogs last year. One had played some fraud with the AdSense and so they banned the Blog and the other was given no reasons.

So I do not recommend the free Blogs - though they are all good specially when you are learning but once you are done, the sonner you migrate to own host is better.

And when you migrate to your own hosting thing, these agencies will serve you only as long as you keep paying them. And as the domain is now yours, you have to keep renewing it - the hosting can be changed(maybe you can move from Godaddy to Hostgator, as an example) but the domain must be maintained. If you have money but it for a longer period - maybe 5 years or 10 years at a go so you dont get bothered for the upkeep of the domain name every year.

7. jonjacob

I much prefer the paid hosting route simply because of the unique domain name. As stated above, the other sites are okay for personal blogs, where you don't expect much traffic, but are really less value if you want to build your brand or site.

The yoursitename.wordpress to me would seem odd if I were expecting to read something from a polished web developer.

That said, I wish I could speak of my own domain like SimpleSidy. I have always wanted to house a server in my house but have been unable to get a static IP. Taking that into account there is a plethora of good hosting services out there.

8. wander_n_wonder

When I didn't have much idea about blogging yet, I used Wordpress. I learned everything I can learn about blogging because Wordpress has a structure that guides you through what needs to be done. I would say start with that and then when you feel confident about the process, you can do it on your own domain.

9. Navii

I fully agree with you. If you are just starting out the possibilities Wordpress offers are more than enough for you. But if you want to make it more professional or make money out of it, an own domain would be a good idea. But as others have said, if you only use it as a personal blog, it's no problem if you host it on Wordpress.

10. Soulwatcher

If you want to be taken seriously your going to want to get your own domain name and your own hosting account. I have been running my own hosted wordpress website from day one, because I want to be taken serious. Also by having my own hosted wordpress website I have total control of the content and website.

Greg

11. themonk3y

I started blogging on Blogger. I found it very limiting so I did a little, well not a little a lot of research and found WordPress. I did not have a domain back then and did not want to pay for a hosting so I started looking for a free web hosting and finally decided to use 000webhost but they did not have the auto install/ one click install for WordPress so I had to do a little more research and learn how to install it manually. After a couple of failed attempts and a few hours of reading and watching tutorials I finally managed to install WordPress successfully. After some time I bought a domain and a web hosting and I am still using WordPress for my blog.