Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress hosting?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by druid, Jun 18, 2013.

1. druid

2. Smith

3. james1991

I would go with WP Engine if you are looking for really good WordPress hosting. i switched to it about 6 months ago and compared to other hosting plans [bluehost, godaddy] it has been pretty much flawless. It is a tad more expensive than other hosting plans but I don't regret it at all. My site is barely down now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  4. TIEro

As far as I can tell, there are some minor advantages - mostly in that the hosting is set up specifically to optimise WP, rather than waiting for you to do the tweaking. But to be honest, unless you're running a blog with a massive number of visitors, I really don't see the point in paying extra money for what is much the same as normal hosting.

The only exception to that, for me, would be if the hosting company provided some serious WP experts on tap, for dev work. That would be a worthwhile benefit.

5. jonjacob

Whenever you set up any databased application, the server environment needs to be set up for the type of environment you need. For example, to run a Ruby on Rails app, I would need Ruby (preferably the version I'm using on my dev platform), Rails (same), some production server (usually PostgresSql).

For WordPress, to optimize installation you need MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, the correct version of PHP library installed, and a few other things that escape me (to be honest I use the hosting sites you are suggesting because it is easier than managing the server libraries myself). That management is what you are getting with the specified hosting...you don't need to think about it.

6. zergeous

Those special Wordpress hosts are nothing other than regular hosting with Wordpress preinstalled, so I don't see any point why you should pay a more expensive price when you could get the same service for a cheap price.
    If you need hosting for Wordpress you can pretty much use any shared hosting service you want, like Bluehost or whatever.

7. jonjacob

Bluehost is one of the pre-installed WordPress site hosts. It is the one my wife's blog is on.

As far as I have seen, in terms of hosting costs, these preinstalled sites are no more expensive than other hosting options, and in fact, from the competition they seem cheaper. E.g., I used GoDaddy for $12 a year. Our other managed hosting through them was $99 per year, without the pre-installed stack.

Personally, I like the ease of it for certain uses. If it was heavy traffic, I might suggest using a dedicated server (which will cost substantially more).

8. Athertle

I use 2FreeHosting. It has a quick WordPress auto-installer that may be a bit outdated but I can simply update it with a few clicks.

It's great because I have a personal blog that doesn't have very heavy traffic, so I am content with the free hosting plan. I've never had a hitch that couldn't be solved within a few hours by the support team.

I agree with most of the people above me. Special WordPress hosting providers aren't very special at all. Most of them are normal hosts that install WordPress for you without the hassle.

9. Cinnamon

I stick to regular web hosting and just make sure that they can handle Wordpress installations. I don't believe in paying for a Wordpress hosting service, when you might consider using your hosting service for other things as well.

I also agree with Athertle, the Wordpress hosting providers aren't special, they're just high priced for nothing. Technically they may specialize in Wordpress, but what else can you possibly be paying for? I say thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to usual web hosting providers, at least you know what you're spending your money on and it's worth it.

10. jonjacob

Cinnamon, Not sure where the higher prices are. These providers seem to create so much competition with each other in the market that they cost approximately $3 or less per month. Most other paid hosting is much higher than this from what I've found. The only real difference is that they set up the stack for you ahead of time, and they are dedicating their service to WordPress only. I've seen plenty of other hosts do this with other stack types as well (Rails, Django, etc.).

For example, Heroku costs start, with 2 Dynos at $34.50 per month. Tac on a real database (up to 10M rows) and you are looking at $40 and up.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Soulwatcher

I am running Stable Hosts Enterprise plan which is semi dedicated and it is recommended for busy blogs and forums. And I am running both a blog and forum off of it. I was hitting the cpu limit daily until I blocked 3rd world countries and now so far I have had zero problems. I think a bunch of bots were probing my website.

Greg

12. fivebyfive

If you go with a host that's especially pushing themselves as Wordpress experts then you can bet they will have actual support techs that have knowledge of the wordpress platform. Furthermore companies like Bluehost and GoDaddy do push themselves as wordpress hosts and honestly if you do have an issue and contact them they will be able to offer you support.

13. wpsprout

Hi Druid,

I wrote a short post on choosing the "right" WP hosting company that I hope you find helpful, but can't yet post the link to it. Here an excerpt:

Although you can install WordPress on almost any standard Linux servers (through hosting companies like GoDaddy, Host Gator, etc.) – there are several factors you should consider:

-Expected traffic (are you hosting a blog, corporate site, an ecommerce site, etc.?)
    -Backups – backing up a WordPress site consist of backing up the physical files and also the MySQL database
    -Type of hosting: shared / VPS / dedicated. Shared hosting is your cheapest option, but as the name implies – you are sharing server resources with our websites, which can impact site performance. VPS (Virtual Private Servers) are the next step up, and typically limit the number of websites hosted on each instance (it’s usually somewhere between 6 and 12 websites). Dedicated servers are the most expensive, but you are the only website hosted on the server, and have all of the resources (RAM, CPU) for yourself.
    -Bandwidth: that is, the amount of data transferred in and out. Unless your blog or site traffic spikes and goes “viral” (aka the Drudge or Reddit effect) – this should not usually be a concern

PM me and I'll send you the link.

Thanks,

-Chris

14. amybrownwpx

Web hosting is one of the key component of every successful website. Choosing the best web hosting for your needs can improve your SEO and increase sales. There are various different types of WordPress hosting options available such as Free, Shared, VPS, Dedicated, and managed WordPress hosting.

15. Mehak50

HUh Well don't look for free webhosting companies, because they will be working in a few weeks for the beginning, after that, you will have lots of problems (database maintenance, site maintenances) or even they can suspend your account, this will make you wasting your time and work for your website.

16. tournique

17. Aree Wongwanlee

I don't see any point in paying more money to get the same thing. As long as the host fulfills all the requirement for installing Wordpress, then it doesn't matter what they want to call themselves. You don't need to have Wordpress pre-installed because installing Wordpress is, more or less, just a simple matter of clicking the mouse.