Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix WordPress Update and FTP Permissions

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by jdobbsy1987, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jdobbsy1987

WordPress Update and FTP Permissions, by jdobbsy1987

Hi,

I’ve got 2 issues which i believe are permissions related, 1 i think i have sorted but would like opinions on and the 2nd i can’t figure out.

1:
    When FTP’ing to my site i was unable to write anything with my FTP user, both the owner/group of files are www-data:www-data but my user is say ‘user x’

I think i can fix this by adding ‘user x’ to the group www-data and changing the folders permissions to 775 (rather than 755) but is this ok to do?

2:
    I am unable to update my wordpress installation via the Admin panel, i get the error

Unpacking the update…

Could not copy file.: wordpress/wp-includes/customize/class-wp-customize-image-control.php

Installation Failed

The file that fails to copy changes each time i try the install

I’m unable to manually update the site due to the 1st issue, unless of course making the changes i have mentioned are ok to do so in which i could then attempt manually updating the site.

EDIT:
    I am able to install/update themes and plugins without issue.
    If it helps, this isn’t on a shared hosting platform, the site is hosted on an AWS EC2 instance running Ubuntu server.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Jamie

WordPress Update and FTP Permissions