Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Website, theme, appearance

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by mertov, Feb 27, 2018.

1. mertov

Website, theme, appearance, by mertov

I have several problems for about two weeks now, and it is not one specific theme problem. What I describe below happens with every theme I try. I tried up to 8 different themes so far.

At first, I could not change the appearance of my theme (Twenty Thirteen) that has worked fine for years. I updated it and since, the appearance of my website changed and I cannot get back into to the theme’s “appearances” function to fix the colors, etc. It gave me a “500 Internal Error” message.
    I looked it up on the forums. I could only understand very little of what was said.

[[Disclaimer about myself: Keep in mind please, I am NOT a techno-wizard AT ALL. (Example: When you say “use FTP” or “file manager provided in your host’s control panel,” they literally mean nothing to me. I don’t know what FTP means, I tried looking it up and it’s explained by 8 other words that I don’t understand, I don’t know what “file manager” means outside of the one in Internet Explorer, I think, nor what “host control” means, and that was just an example. In short, I need someone to explain the steps necessary as if talking to a 4-year-old)]]

I did read that I should try it with the plugins deactivated, one of the very few things I do know how to do, and I deactivated them. When I tried to then, instead of a “500 Internal Server Error,” the menu on the left shows up with “Dashboard” – “Posts” -“Media” etc. but when I click “Customize” under “Appearances” I see the menu on the left appear with “Side Identity,” Colors,” “Header,” etc.. but nothing appears where I am supposed to see (meaning the large part of the screen).

Also, people cannot even get to my website now. I tried it too, and nothing shows up, just a blank page. I don’t know how long that has been going on, but the last time I went to my website it was about a week ago, that is when I noticed that colors were different than what I set a while back.

Notice 1: Everything I explained above happens with all browser. I have the latest versions of Edge, Google, Opera and Vivaldi, it happened with all of them.
    Notice 2: I also tried up to 8 different themes, and nothing has been different.

Can someone please help?
    But again, I will need someone patient who can guide me through the fix without assuming that I know any technical language at all. As I already said above, I am not a techno-wizard at all (see “disclaimer about myself” above in the body of the message). I hope whoever helps me is patient and kind.

Thanks in advance.

Website, theme, appearance