Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Want to make sure I am dealing with correct .htaccess

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by etcbbu, Oct 27, 2017.

1. etcbbu

Want to make sure I am dealing with correct .htaccess, by etcbbu

So I’m about to install a certain plugin that’s a security plugin. And one of its security features has it modifying the .htaccess file on my web-server in order to use one of its security features (and the plugin has you automatically download a back-up of one’s CURRENT .htaccess file before it makes its little change, in case the plugin throws off something and I need to re-upload my previous-working .htaccess file).

But I am not confident on where I would RE-UPLOAD the previous .htaccess file, in case something DOES go wrong (via an FTP client or whatever). And that’s my question:

So I wanting to enable this Security plugin, like, NOW; but I really want to make sure that I am confident on WHERE/WHICH EXACT DIRECTORY on my web-space that I would re-upload this backup .htaccess file, in case this plugin throws off something.

So, say my website URL is http://www.mywebsite.com

I do not have my blog on that initial public root directory

/mywebsite/

I have my WP blog installed on a sub-directory of the public root, that is called

/mywebsite/subdirectory/

Like, the

wp-admin
    wp-content
    wp-includes
    index.php
    license.txt
    readme.html
    etc. etc. …

files all sit in the

/mywebsite/subdirectory/

folder. And so, WHERE would I use an FTP client and re-upload this back-up .htaccess file, in case something went wrong? Would it be in the initital, top-level root

/mywebsite/

?

Or would it be in the sub-directory where wp-admin and everything is, in

/mywebsite/subdriectory/

?

Want to make sure I am dealing with correct .htaccess