Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Updates for plugins and themes with folder renames

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Rodrigo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Rodrigo

Updates for plugins and themes with folder renames, by Rodrigo

Hello guys,

I usually make updates to my Theme via SFTP, and also when some plugins do not update directly through the WP panel.

In such cases, when I’m going to update the Theme or a page builder plugin, I put my entire site on a maintenance page, and during the update time my site is left without access.

So, in order for my site not to be down for long, I do the following …

I unzip the zip file of the Theme or Plugin, rename it to any other name (eg mytheme-NEW or myplugin-NEW) and through SFTP I drag to the corresponding folders (/wp-content/themes/ ou /wp-content/plugins). Then I go to the old Theme or Plugin and rename it too (eg mytheme-OLD or myplugin-OLD). Then I go to the new Theme or Plugin and rename it to the original name (eg mytheme or myplugin).

See: https://screenshot.net/pt/ke9dvu3

So, I do not need to put my website on maintenance screen and pretty much my site does not stay off the air as it takes few seconds to rename 2 folders.

That way, besides being fast and the site does not have to be off the air, in case the new Theme or Plugin gives problem, I can go back to the old Theme or Plugin just by changing the names back.

Is this valid? Can it cause some problem? Or can I do it without any problem?

Thanks,
    Rodrigo

Updates for plugins and themes with folder renames