Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Site went down after using DNS CNAME

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by xorcise, Dec 8, 2017.

1. xorcise

Site went down after using DNS CNAME, by xorcise

I’ve been developing a Linux site and using the free duckdns.org for m dynamic DNS. I had registered linuxhomeserver.duckdns.org while working on it, and registered linxhomeserver.com also. Tonight I decided to move it to the .com site, so logged into my domain name register and updated the CNAME record to point to linuxhomeserver.duckdns.org. After 30 minutes I was able to go to the .com address and see my site.

I noticed that the links on it still said .duckdns.org, so I went into Settings> General and updated the WordPress Site and Site Address URL fields to be linuxhomeserver.com. After this the site went off the air. I get HTTP 500 error screens when I try browse to it, obviously I’ve done something wrong in changing the URL settings.

I still have SSH access to the file system so can edit any files if needed. Can someone advise please how to fix this issue, where I went wrong and then how to properly set up DNS.

Site went down after using DNS CNAME