Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Setting up a Blog page as a posts page

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by mikewhitehead00, Oct 20, 2017.

1. mikewhitehead00

Setting up a Blog page as a posts page, by mikewhitehead00

I’m loading a front-end site onto WordPress using html5 blank child theme. The client has asked me to add a blog page to the site. I’ve created the page and added it to the header.php. I’ve followed numerous instructions about how to create the actual page and I have to say I’m in a complete mess and, more importantly so is the page.

So, I have the page set up in pages and I have the link set up in the nav –

<header>
    <nav>
    <a href="<?php the_permalink(4); ?>#particle-slider">Home</a>
    <a href="#what">What we do</a>
    <a href="#who">Who we are</a>
    <a href="#partners">Who we work with</a>
    <a href="#contact">Say hello</a>
    <a href="<?php the_permalink(70); ?>">Blog</a>
    </nav>
    <!-- script type="text/javascript"></script -->
    </header>

I’ve set up my blog page as home.php as per the template hierarchy with this code copied from the parent theme files –

<?php get_header(); ?>

<main role="main">
    <!-- section -->
    <div id="article">

<h1><?php _e( 'Latest Posts', 'html5blank' ); ?></h1>

<?php get_template_part('loop'); ?>

<?php get_template_part('pagination'); ?>

</div>
    <!-- /section -->
    </main>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

I’ve completed the Settings>Reading guidelines also. What I need help with is the following –
    1) Why, when I go into my blog page on pages do I have the following statement instead of a page – “You are currently editing the page that shows your latest posts. – Am I not allowed to add any content other than via the posts?
    2) How do I link a post to the page? I’ve done a couple of ‘dummy’ posts and when I first click on update the post doesn’t go straight to the page (it does eventually once I refresh)

Is there a set template I can use or do I have to link all the templates together – categories , author , dates etc?
    Lastly, how do I style the page ? I’ve tried adding some styles and I’m getting nothing.

Setting up a Blog page as a posts page