Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Update to 4.9 ~ Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_shortcut_link()

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by PressGang, Nov 19, 2017.

1. PressGang

Reply To: Update to 4.9 ~ Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_shortcut_link(), by PressGang

I think this problem is solved.

I’ve attempted several WP 4.9 updates now, using a range of methods, and I feel more confident about dealing with the failures now.

I’ve discovered that the WordFence security plugin seems to be implicated in the failures, regardless of the fact that the one-click update is supposed to temporarily deactivate all plugins.

If I manually deactivate that plugin the one-click update has worked every time.

I’ve also done several successful manual updates by pre-uploading the contents of the unzipped ‘wordpress-4.9-no-content’ folder to a separate directory (eg. wp-update), and then after deleting the core files (wp-admin, wp-includes and wp files in the root), simply dragging the updated folders and files into the root directory. That way the whole manual update process takes about one minute of downtime.

Thank you to all who helped.

Reply To: Update to 4.9 ~ Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_shortcut_link()