Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Update breaks many plugins

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by readoasis, Jan 18, 2018.

1. readoasis

Reply To: Update breaks many plugins, by readoasis

Dear @catacaustic and Jan,

Thank you for your replies.

Sorry for the all caps, but I wasn’t “yelling.” I was emphasizing key words. I’ve seen this technique used by some successful communicators. In the future I’ll use *this* instead. Please accept my apology.

Just so you know, my site is backed up constantly, so that wasn’t an issue.

Our custom plugin is a learner management system. Learners track quiz data and reading word count data in the system. They do this for their grades at school.

I knew that the most recent version of WP would break our plugin, so we chose to defer automatic updates with our provider (WPEngine) until we could fix our plugin. But security updates are forced and this broke our plugin for 12 hours — until I could restore from back up. When I did this, some other learner data added during the 12 hours was lost.

Jan, I will check the plugin you suggested to stop updates, but as I said, I had already check “defer update” in the WPEngine control panel.

BTW, I was told by support at WPEngine that these updates break many plugins. And I am suggesting that there should be a way to plan for preparing for that potential problem — instead just reacting when the update comes out.

Bottom line is that I have to ask developers to redo our plugin so that it won’t break with WP updates. We need to modernize it.

And that’ll cost a few thousand dollars. The problem is simply that we couldn’t plan for this, and it feels like we are getting gut-punched by the updates.

Open source or not, there is a lot of time and money involved with this. Our site has been online for almost 10 years now. And this is the first time that an update broke things. I just wish we could have avoided the problem.

Reply To: Update breaks many plugins