Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Unimprovably slow site, overnight doubling of Media storage – Dashboard

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Blade, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Blade

Reply To: Unimprovably slow site, overnight doubling of Media storage – Dashboard, by Blade

Anything that’s connected to an external website will have external resources that will load on your website. Some will have more, some less. It’s not just MailChimp.

Having external resources is normal nowadays, and as long as you don’t have too many, or poorly optimized ones, you shouldn’t worry.

In the end, all that matters is the actual loading time. If your loading time doesn’t affect SEO or user experience, you can have 200 external requests and grade F on Pingdom. User and search engines don’t care about speed grades, they care about the actual loading time.

Don’t know exactly what’s with the doubling of the media file, but keep in mind that every time you add an image, WordPress, as well as certain plugins and themes, create additional thumbnails of different sizes for that same image.

Yes, W3 Total Cache can cause some issues sometimes.

You can also edit your .htaccess with Yoast, unless you have that feature disabled. Go to SEO -> Tools -> File Editor.

I do recommend to try and access and edit files on your FTP, via cPanel or other 3rd party software, in case something happens and you need to undo the changes. You can also back the files up before editing them, which is safer.

As for the plugins, I’d get rid of:

For extra safety, create a site backup before removing the plugins, or some of them. I don’t know which you’ll remove or not.

1. AMP, especially since Google said that they will come up with something else, better, based on AMP. AMP wasn’t such a big hit anyway.

2. Autoptimize. One caching / speed plugin is enough. Stick with WP Super Cache.

3. Broken Link Checker. Although very useful, it can stress the server too much, especially if the server is a shared one.

I recommend using an online tool from time to time, like http://www.brokenlinkcheck.com/.

4. Check and Enable GZIP. WP Super Cache should have this already, no? Haven’t used it for years.

Or add this to your .htaccess again (back up your file or website before):

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    # Compress HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Text, XML and fonts
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/vnd.ms-fontobject
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-opentype
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-otf
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-truetype
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-ttf
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/opentype
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/otf
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/ttf
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/x-icon
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
    </IfModule>

5. Cloudflare. You don’t need a Cloudflare plugin to set it up or handle settings, so there’s no real use for it.

Use your Cloduflare Dashboard on their website.

6. Glue for Yoast SEO & AMP Version, if you decide to get rid of AMP.

7. Gravatar Enhanced hasn’t been updated for over 2 years.

8. Health check. You could remove it now if you fixed whatever warnings it pointed out.

9. Jetpack is pretty “heavy” and usually causes a lot of conflicts.

10. Loginizer – use iThemes Security instead. It’s a really, really good security plugin, and it covers a ton of security features. You won’t need any other security plugin. An alternative could be WordFence. Having a security plugin is a must.

11. Clearfy – if you have Yoast and WP Super Cache, I think you can get rid of this, unless it has some features that you really need and others don’t provide.

The other plugins are ok, or they handle customization or analytics for your website, so I didn’t mention them.

I believe that those standard expires headers are good in the vast majority of cases.

The minimum should be one month. You can read more here – https://gtmetrix.com/leverage-browser-caching.html.

Reply To: Unimprovably slow site, overnight doubling of Media storage – Dashboard