Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Unexpected Subdirectory Structure for Subdomain Groups

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by stratact, Dec 5, 2017.

1. stratact

Reply To: Unexpected Subdirectory Structure for Subdomain Groups, by stratact

My expectations have been met with Buddypress at each of my WordPress multisite subdomains, except that I’m also getting some strange and unwanted added effects that I would like to eliminate.

Here’s some additional information for what I’m trying to accomplish:

For all of my subdomains, I’m using the Commons-In-A-Box Plugin (commonsinabox.org) that comes complete with its required BuddyPress Plugin (provides the core functionality of Commons In A Box, including groups and user profiles) and many other Buddypress-compatible recommended plugins (installed automatically during initial Commons In A Box setup). I’m also using the Commons-In-A-Box Theme for all of my subdomains. In addition, and perhaps this is incorrect, I’ve enabled bp_enable_multiblog in my wp-config.php file. See https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

When setting up my subsites as subdomains, I activated Buddypress at each subdomain, set up groups at each subdomain, then assumed that each group could have its own blog and wiki. I found that to be true, but with some strange and unwanted added effects, as already mentioned.

Here’s my problem described again, as an example, but with some additional information:

When I create a group called “test” under a subdomain called “subdomain”, it shows up as an independent subdomain at location test.subdomain.domain.org and has a link to it under My Sites (top of my Home Page,and other pages) at http://subdomain.domain.org/wp-admin/my-sites.php. This new subdomain group is very desireable because it looks like a regular subdomain and can have all the features of a regular subdomain.

However, what is really strange is that my subdomain’s “Groups” page at subdomain.domain.org/groups/ has a link to an undesireable “test” group that was created at location subdomain.domain.org/groups/test/ instead of a link to the desireable “test” group at location test.subdomain.domain.org.

What’s more, the undesireable “test” subdomain group at location subdomain.domain.org/groups/test/ has its menu on the right side of the page (in the widget area) and I can’t find a widget anywhere that allows me to create a subdomain group Wiki in that menu. However, the desireable “test” subdomain group at location test.subdomain.domain.org has a widget that allows me the option to create a subdomain group wiki with a link to it on the subdomain group’s menu at the top of the subdomain group’s page (not on the right side of the page in the widget area).

I have two goals. My first and primary goal is to have the link on my subdomain’s “Groups” page at subdomain.domain.org/groups/ point to the desireable “test” group at location test.subdomain.domain.org instead of the undesireable “test” group at location subdomain.domain.org/groups/test/

My second goal is to eliminate the undesireable “test” group at location subdomain.domain.org/groups/test/

So, I would appreciate someone helping me accomplish these goals.

Reply To: Unexpected Subdirectory Structure for Subdomain Groups