Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Unable to make theme customization and publish it

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Pepperfly, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Pepperfly

Reply To: Unable to make theme customization and publish it, by Pepperfly

This is not an specific theme problem. This can happen with any theme. It also has nothing to do with plugins being installed. I get so frustrated reading support boards where the first thing people jump to is “deactivate/remove plugins.” This step may be necessary, but it isn’t always the defacto first step. The first step is to replicate the issue and then linearly troubleshoot.

Yes, you can add menus from Appearance>Menus panel, but if you attempt to add menus or do any other theme customization using the Customize panel, then the [/full-path-to]/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php script will be invoked and you might receive an error.

The problem is that your hosting provider has security in place to keep potentially malicious scripts from running on the server. Actually, that’s really a good thing, not really a problem. The resolve is to have your hosting provider whitelist the affected script.

As previously mentioned, one tech I chatted with noted:

We had to whitelist one mod security from our end.
    URLS Affected: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php [*] Description: Blind SQL Injection Attack

On another domain I have, a different tech responded with these notes:

I have whitelisted the Modsecurity for the site “[myDomain].com” with ID “[#####]”

The terminology techs used in these examples seem to vary, but ultimately they performed the necessary whitelisting to make the script work. It’s up to you to get them to understand that.

To start with, tell them

I need a script whitelisted in modSecurity: [full-path-to]/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php. I receive an error when this script attempts to publish changes on my WordPress site.

Reply To: Unable to make theme customization and publish it