Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Twenty Seventeen Child Style.css has no effect.

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by cbgregoire45, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cbgregoire45

Reply To: Twenty Seventeen Child Style.css has no effect., by cbgregoire45

Hi Michael,

Thank-you for your comment. It help me realize that I need to understand CSS logic better. After I read your post I did some searching and I think I understand the css selector logic a little better now. After that insight I did some experiments in the custom css area of the theme and found this accomplished what I wanted (for now):

@media screen and (min-width: 48em) {
    .entry-content {
    max-width: 1100px;
    #main .wrap {
    max-width: 1100px

Just to assure you. I have been using the chrome browser “inspect” tool quite a lot although I must admit my understanding of it is still rather limited. Earlier this afternoon I looked at the hierarchy of containers in the content area. What I realized was that the wrap class is used not only in the content area but also in the header area. The wrap container contains the .entry-header and .entry-content classes. I also learned that when one leave a space between selectors there’s a mother/daughter relationship. So in the end I needed to select and expand the .wrap container in the content area only by using the id #main. wrap is two levels down from #main so that isolates it. Once .wrap’s max-width is expanded than that allows .entry-content’s max width to be expanded by the same amount assuming the right and left margins are eliminated. It worked! You got me to think. Thanks.

It will still be nice to figure out why the child style.css has no effect on the page and why the only thing that seems to work is the built in css customizer. I will follow up on the other poster’s question.

Reply To: Twenty Seventeen Child Style.css has no effect.