Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working...

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Jackie McBride, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jackie McBride

Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working (changed to plain in, by Jackie McBride

@sariee, now let’s discuss your question regarding a backup solution.

I’m going to talk to you as though you’re new to WordPress because you asked for that in your first post here. If it’s too basic, or you feel it’s condescending, please forgive–that is *not* my intent whatever.

There are 2 basic parts to a WordPress Website. The first is the files. These basically form the framework on which the site is built. The 2nd is the database, & it is here that user content as well as other information about the website is stored. That means all your posts, pages, & information about these such as author, time & date of publication, etc, live in the *database*, not the files, as some incorrectly believe.

The files that need backing up are:
    1) Purchased plugins/themes; &
    2) User content such as pictures, documents, videos (if on the website), music, etc.

You should likely already have these on your computer as well as on a backup drive. The remaining files can be downloaded from wordpress.org.

The database is the thing that needs to be backed up regularly, especially if content is added/changed frequently. This can be done either by a plugin or manually, & much depends on your preference regarding that. If you installed WordPress via your hosting provider’s control panel, there may also be an option to back up your site automatically. The key is, don’t forget to download those backups to your computer, because if the server gets taken out, then so do the backups. Many plugins will email you when a backup is completed, as likely will your hosting provider’s control panel if available.
    That was pretty general because I don’t know your specifics. But perhaps it gave you a better understanding of how WordPress works in order to help you make a decision as to the best way going forward.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need further assistance, though I’d urge you to start a separate topic for that, as this 1 has been marked as ‘resolved’ & is therefore unlikely to be viewed if updated.

Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working (changed to plain in