Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working...

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by sariee, Nov 14, 2017.

1. sariee

Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working (changed to plain in, by sariee

Hi Jackie

Thank you very much for your reply. My apologies for the delay in responding. Before I saw your reply I had followed other advice to deactivate plugins and doing that gave me a 500 error and I couldn’t access anything at all for the last week. I felt stupid. I used a freelancer to fix that but he only offered to fix that bit, not the permalinks issue. So now I have access to the dashboard again, but the permalinks are still wrong and basically I’m too nervous to touch anything without advice….
    Here’s my answers:

1= Linux
    2= dedicated I think (we use a hosting provider and have access to a cpanel)
    3= have seen references to Apache, so assuming Apache
    4= have cleared browser cache. Sorry I don’t really understand if we have site cache or how I would clear it. Could you advise…
    5= there now doesn’t seem to be one under the sub-directory where this WP installation is. There is a blank file “htaccess_”

What is supposed to happen if you go to settings and change permalinks? Am I safe to try again? Do I need to do anything before I do that?

Do I have to set up redirects? I am not fussed about losing any existing external links into this site as there shouldn’t really be any yet and have discourage seo on currently.

Can anyone recommend a proper, easy, reliable backup method for when I have it fixed, please?

Thank you in advance

Reply To: Trying to change permalinks back to postname is not working (changed to plain in