Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: site down, backups don’t fix

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Eric Amundson, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Eric Amundson

Reply To: site down, backups don’t fix, by Eric Amundson

Hi @biztrainer,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your site.

Questions:

• Do you have access to the files through either a file manager (like cPanel File Manager) or via FTP?
    • Can you log in to the WordPress Admin?
    • What happened to cause this issue? Did you upgrade or make any changes to any files on the site?
    • Are you able to get any support from your host? Can they restore a server-side backup for you?

Ideally, I’d recommend temporarily removing or renaming your theme and using a default theme like Twenty Seventeen while troubleshooting.

Also, like you said, disabling plugins can help.

Another thing you can try is to download a fresh copy of WordPress from wordpress.org and replace the core WP files on the server and see if that helps you load the site. That will also contain a fresh copy of the Twenty Seventeen theme.

My goal would be to make sure I have a clean version of WP that I can access and then try to activate the theme. If you get an error, I’d see if you can download a fresh copy of the theme, or you’ll have to troubleshoot the code error.

If the theme works, then you’ll want to re-enable plugins one-by-one until they’re all activated, or you encounter errors.

I hope that helps!

Reply To: site down, backups don’t fix