Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: search engines giving 404 error just for front page

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by David Sword, Nov 6, 2017.

1. David Sword

Reply To: search engines giving 404 error just for front page, by David Sword

The actual homepage shows up fine when I enter the url ,and is our regular front page. so where did this test page come from?

Remember that /home/ is just a slug of a page created at some point, being called “home” gives the URL extra properties, so it could just as well be /page-whatever/

I can only speculate, but I would guess at some point a page titled “Home” (making the permalink /home/) was made and not set to be the page that displays on front in Settings > Reading, it was just a page. At this point a crawler probably picked up on it, and indexed it. Later “Home” was deleted (or assigned as the page to display on front), making the /home/ URL none existence, 404.

The reason I ask is was it a selection we made somewhere or wrong plugin used?

Sounds like it was just something that was made during development, that unintentionally got indexed by Google before things got finished. I’m speculating though.

Also how soon will our true homepage show when google after a 301 redirect?

I don’t know, but keeping on with Webmaster Tools, and having a good sitemap.xml is your best bet to refine your sites search results. Webmaster Tools has areas you can fix URL errors Google finds (like a 404) – it’s really worth exploring.

Reply To: search engines giving 404 error just for front page