Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Regular 503 error every 5 minutes for logged in users

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by vincek1, Nov 4, 2017.

1. vincek1

Reply To: Regular 503 error every 5 minutes for logged in users, by vincek1

I understand your frustration! I agree that it’s much better for the root cause to be discovered and permanently resolved, and it’s irritating when that doesn’t happen and the issue recurs.

Please keep in mind that 503 errors can be caused by more than one thing, so the issue GoDaddy resolved one month ago may not have been the same issue this time.

Transients aren’t “processes” per se, but the GoDaddy tech who responded may have just tripped up the wording. If what they found was indeed the issue I brought up earlier, one thing to note is that transients aren’t used by the core WordPress functionality but is an available option for plugins to use to cache data, so it could be that one of your plugins is storing transient data suboptimally or in too great a volume for your database to handle. Researching which plugins of yours might be causing this can be difficult, but I have seen a few articles recommend the Transients Manager plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/transients-manager/

One way to avoid/bypass this issue is to see if GoDaddy makes use of an “object cache” software on your site’s server, such as Memcached or Redis. If so, ask them to make sure it’s functioning correctly (often it will need a drop-in plugin to work). If GoDaddy does not use a server-side object cache, you can use a caching plugin to replace this functionality. W3 Total Cache offers object caching: https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/

Having a functioning object cache will usually help ensure that those transients are written to your server’s RAM or disk rather than your wp_options table, avoiding wp_options bloat which can slow down DB queries and cause 503 errors. Hope this helps!

P.S. If you end up trying W3 Total Cache, make sure you review all the features carefully and only activate the ones you know will work with your site. Because of the plugin’s many features, you can sometimes cause an error on your site by activating the wrong feature or wrong combination of features. Having a good backup/restore process in place before you make a change to the site/plugin will be beneficial in this case (as with any change or regular maintenance of your site).

Reply To: Regular 503 error every 5 minutes for logged in users