Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Is there any theme that can mimic my current website?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by RossMitchell, Nov 25, 2017.

1. RossMitchell

Reply To: Is there any theme that can mimic my current website?, by RossMitchell

This is what I would do.
    – Start with the “storefront” theme, it is free and includes woocommerce integration which will be a central aspect of your site’s function. I have had experience customising this theme, it did not fight back.
    – You need to get very proficient using some browser inspectors, it will show you how the HTML and CSS are working, use a different browser occasionally so as to be sure that your site will standsup in the real world.
    – Using the browser inspector identify the CSS attributes of your present site and develop their counterparts in your new WordPress site using the storefront theme CSS customiser. Start with big properties such as the page width and background, then progressively refine the header, footer and menu, etc.
    – Maybe you won’t need to create a child theme, but you will if you need to create custom page templates, similarly if you need to customise functions.php, details here:
    creating a child theme http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
    – You probably want your new website to be responsive = mobile and tablet friendly. So this will be a different criteria to develop CSS and add media qualifiers.
    – You may need to use some plugins etc to assist you, a slider would be on this list, some of these may have paid subscriptions.

The degree to which you match your present design is up to you, how much effort is it worth putting in ? Among other considerations you probably want to keep faith with and maintain continuity with your existing client base. Be sure to pay attention to the details of their interaction, such as the order of menu categories, wording used and order flow.

Reply To: Is there any theme that can mimic my current website?