Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: How to handle a lot of media files in the uploads folder? (+10.000)

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by George Appiah, Nov 24, 2017.

1. George Appiah

Reply To: How to handle a lot of media files in the uploads folder? (+10.000), by George Appiah

I recently found out that FileZilla only displays 9998 files in a single folder,

This is patently false.

Don’t believe me? Try ten different FTP clients, and you’ll hit the same limit.

That’s because this limit of 10,000 files (9998 + the two special directories . and ..) is a configuration setting in your FTP SERVER, not the FTP client or OS.

If you run Pure-FTPD on your own server, you most likely have this line in your config:

LimitRecursion 10000 8

Change the 10000 figure to your desired higher value, restart the FTP Service, and see if FileZilla can’t display more files for you.

If you run Pro-FTP, I think the setting is handled by ListOptions directive.

If you don’t run your own server, contact your host. They may not increase the limit for you, but if they cite the same “FileZilla limit” falsehood, you know you need a new host.

Bottom line: FileZilla has no hard-coded limit on how many files to display. The developers have actually tested display of millions of files. The limit is set by the FTP SERVER, not the FTP client.

Reply To: How to handle a lot of media files in the uploads folder? (+10.000)