Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: how do I re-enable a plugin if I can’t access the Web interface?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by bennetthaselton, Nov 14, 2017.

1. bennetthaselton

Reply To: how do I re-enable a plugin if I can’t access the Web interface?, by bennetthaselton

Oops I mis-read what happened after I renamed plugins.bak back to plugins. Because the site remained up, I thought the new plugins directory hadn’t taken effect (because I figured if I restored my old plugins, then bloyal would break and the site would crash, right?).

It turns out that after renaming plugins.bak back to plugins, my plugins are listed as installed again, but now they’re all deactivated.

Apparently, when you start WordPress with an empty plugins directory, WordPress stores a setting somewhere that says “no activated plugins”. (I believe that’s the value “a:0:{}” in the “active_plugins” row of the “wp_options” table.) So then when you restore the plugins directory full of your previous plugins, WordPress retains the “no activated plugins” setting so they are all deactivated.

(We have a lot of plugins, so now I just wish I’d written down the list of active ones before this happened, but that shouldn’t be too hard to restore.)

Reply To: how do I re-enable a plugin if I can’t access the Web interface?