Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Help Needed: Changes from Parent Theme to Child Theme

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Halo Diehard, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Halo Diehard

Reply To: Help Needed: Changes from Parent Theme to Child Theme, by Halo Diehard

Just to clarify: your parent theme css that you made the changes to wasn’t updated already and wiped, right? If it was, then the following won’t help you…

You go into your WordPress admin, in the left sidebar go to Appearance, and then Edit in the dropdown menu. Once that page loads, in the upper right you will see a dropdown to choose the parent theme. Below that dropdown is a list of files that can be edited. Find the stylesheet for your theme and copy all css.

If you already have the child theme setup, just paste that entire thing into the css for your child theme. If you haven’t set up a child theme, you will need to Google how to do. I also put -child on the folder name to be sure I know that it is kept separate.

One more bit of info: SOME themes have a “child” css in the Customize menu under Appearance. Any CSS entered into that isn’t written over in the case of an update – – IF the code works right. I just always do backups, like copy/paste any css changes I make into a txt doc and save it on my pc.

Reply To: Help Needed: Changes from Parent Theme to Child Theme