Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Google Index Error on mysite.com/category/uncategorized

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by George Appiah, Feb 4, 2018.

1. George Appiah

Reply To: Google Index Error on mysite.com/category/uncategorized, by George Appiah

Looking in the search console I noticed that the error first appeared only a few days after my last post where I forgot to set a custom category and it was defaulted to Uncategorized. I’m not sure if there’s any connection between the 404s and the new post.

No, that’s the point of the default category… if you don’t set any category, the post is automatically filed under your default category (which is “Uncategorized” in your case). So not choosing a category shouldn’t produce any 404 errors.

So the big question is…

What happens when you visit yourwebsite.com/category/uncategorized in the browser? Do you see the list of posts, or do you get 404 not found error?

If you DO get 404, then it’s likely there’s something wrong with your URL rewrite rules. Head over to SETTINGS => PERMALINKS in your WordPress dashboard and click SAVE CHANGES to force updating of the rewrite rules.

If you DON’T get 404, it’s likely there was a temporary fluke either on your site or at Google (it’s a “soft” error after all ). Just head over to your search console and mark the error as FIXED.

Reply To: Google Index Error on mysite.com/category/uncategorized