Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Do I need to develop the blog templates from scratch in my new theme?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by RossMitchell, Mar 20, 2018.

1. RossMitchell

Reply To: Do I need to develop the blog templates from scratch in my new theme?, by RossMitchell

Thank you RossMitchell, your answer is more useful to me

Useful is the goal.

but if I want develop new themes for sale, is it a good idea to provide only child themes?

There are some child themes in the marketplace, which I find surprising. Usually these have a theme framework as parent which is never used raw. Of course the reason against buying child themes is that there is no such thing as a grandchild theme, hence three different aspects of theme customization are impacted:
    – customize style.css, effective alternatives are the customizer and plugins
    – customize functions.php, viable alternative is to put code into a plugin
    – custom page templates, no other option, the clients will have to manage their own backups and updates.

From your initial query:

Do I need to hardly coding its templates (archive, article, category, sidebar, search, etc)?

The template docs will show you how specific these are and how they fall back.

Reply To: Do I need to develop the blog templates from scratch in my new theme?