Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Copy/paste Excel data to a page and retain formatting

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by bcworkz, Oct 29, 2017.

1. bcworkz

Reply To: Copy/paste Excel data to a page and retain formatting, by bcworkz

Thanks for explaining further. I suspect we have more in common than either realises. A former pro programmer whose limit is VBA tells me tons. I totally get your situation, I also have a pile of data trapped in elaborate legacy spreadsheets. I applaud the desire to share the data. I’m sorry that WP is not as easy as expected. It is easy, but only in certain ways. As soon as you depart from the expected, there’s nothing easy about it. This seems to be the nature of the Internet these days.

I suspected adapting the data to a SQL DB would be too involved, but without knowing the nature of the data or the programming resources you have available, it’s an option that should always be considered. Your main obstacle is the legacy .xls file format, which is relatively complex and difficult to code for. Combined with a limited need, no one’s willing to put in the effort to address it. Exporting to a format that is easier to code for and more widely used is going to be the best solution for your situation. Sure, not needing this extra step would be ideal, but it’s also not that big of an ask as an extra step.

Maybe a good part of this extra step could be semi-automated. You could probably handle the VBA side. The PHP side could maybe be handled by someone with modest PHP skills if you can identify a plugin to do the heavy lifting.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

Reply To: Copy/paste Excel data to a page and retain formatting