Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Changing themes

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by George Appiah, Dec 5, 2017.

1. George Appiah

Reply To: Changing themes, by George Appiah

Is there a danger in choosing a free theme such as Astrid? What if developer decides to stop updating or care about it I worry…..

I feel as though if I use a free theme that later on if they don’t update it or give me any support I’m going to have a lot of problems so maybe it is a lot better idea to get a paid one? Does that make sense or could you come in on that…..

There’s no guarantee that a commercial theme will continue to be supported in perpetuity or even supported at all. Case in point: see this thread about Onetone (TL;DR: poster liked the free theme and pre-sales support, but AFTER PAYING to upgrade to PRO version, never got any response from developer again. Go figure!)

At the end of the day, every vendor is different: I’ve used free themes with excellent support from the vendor, and I’ve purchased commercial themes (on ThemeForest.net) that were broken out of the box and the vendor never responded to a single support request. I’ve also experienced the reverse.

So do your research, read reviews, and go where your heart leads you. Ask for help to address any SPECIFIC problem you encounter (instead of chasing the holy grail of themes that fixes themselves). Finally, note that life happens, and developers sometimes move on in search of their own greener pastures and may “stop updating or caring” for their themes and plugins, whether free or paid.

Avada…..that theme allowed me to customize a couple of things and then it would no longer save anything. Now I cannot get anybody to answer this for me but I’m trying to figure out if because this needs to be paid for…..on word press you can install it for free but if you go to theme Forest they want $39 for it. So does that mean it wasn’t working because it needs to be paid for?

Avada is a commercial theme sold exclusively at ThemeForest.net, and as far as I know, there’s no officially sanctioned free version from the developer.

So, did you actually pay for Avada and “cannot get anybody to answer”? Well, see my earlier point above.

Or did you grab a “free” copy? I’m not going to preach to you on legalities or ethics, except to say, for your own self preservation, be careful when downloading “free” themes from anywhere other than the official WordPress themes directory or the theme developer’s own site; as such non-sanctioned “free” downloads are often booby-trapped with malware and other nasties.

At the end of the day, note that it takes a lot of time, skill, and energy to code themes and plugins… and even more resources to provide excellent support to thousands of people around the world. And as we all have the same 24hours and must earn a living to feed ourselves and our families, it should be perfectly logical to you why people want to be paid for their effort.

Avada is what I’m considering but is it too hard for a new person to build?

Divi is a consideration also…..

ANY thoughts would help! Thanks

My thought?

I’ve head good things about both, but I have no first-hand experience with either.

I’ve personally chosen to avoid such themes with fancy generators and builders, as I found out the hard way that there’s a high cost when switching themes. Instead, I prefer to have all my content be just my content living in the WordPress editor — no generators, builders or shortcode spaghetti — and I’ve settled on the Genesis framework for all sites I build for myself and clients.

And that’s my thought, which you asked for

Reply To: Changing themes