Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Can I run a test website somehow?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by PixemWeb, Jan 3, 2018.

1. PixemWeb

Reply To: Can I run a test website somehow?, by PixemWeb

This might sound complex at first but it actually isn’t that difficult and with a little bit of time invested, you will find yourself getting extremely familiar with WordPress and able to test out plugins and themes and even analyze changes in the core, plugins and themes as they are made.

• Download MAMP local server which works for both Macs and Windows PC’s
    • Download WordPress itself from the WordPress.org/download page
    • Download all the themes and plugins you’re using to your local install
    • Export an XML file from your live website and import to your local version
    • Configure your local installation just as you’re production site
    • Try and match your local & production server configuration as closely as possible meaning the PHP version and installed extensions

You can always use the Duplicator Plugin or Clone your website locally but the steps above are a more manual approach. You will need to create the database in MAMP but there are plenty of tutorials online. I also have a few videos on my YouTube Channel if you want to check them out.

The beauty of this approach is you will get a better appreciation of how WordPress works. You can even export your database and import it locally. You would have to change some settings hence why I default to using an XML file which gets similar results.

If you want to compare changes in any file or folder, then use the free tool called Meld Merge. It’s really helpful.

With this done, testing things out is extremely easy. You may also want to use filezilla to download all your website files and folders.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

Reply To: Can I run a test website somehow?