Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Can’t edit main theme php files after upgrading to 4.9

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Pádraig Ó Beirn, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Pádraig Ó Beirn

Reply To: Can’t edit main theme php files after upgrading to 4.9, by Pádraig Ó Beirn

@clorith I have discovered that if you open and save any of your theme files in Notepad++ just once it “unlocks” the WP theme and plugin editors. No more errors when saving theme or plugin files.

Originally I had to make a quick edit to my theme using Notepad++ which, unknown to me, actually solved my ‘Unable to communicate’ error – I had solved the problem by editing theme files in Notepad++ but assumed my last troubleshooting step was the reason the error went away which I shared on page 6 of this thread.

My own solution didn’t work on my other three sites so I kept digging. On reading the comment from @don_alejandro at https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42573 I tested three other sites (2 Apache and 1 localhost Wamp) that were getting the communicate error. Made a tiny edit using Notepad++ to one of the files in each theme on each site and the communication error has gone on all three.

The error seems to apply to sites that are not under development and have not made recent template changes which may be why you were not able to replicate it in tests. Once a template change is made using something like Notepad++ the WP admin editor works.

@debresser mentioned on page 6 of this thread that his error disappeared and he doesn’t know why. I suspect that he edited one of his theme files in a text editor and was subsequently able to use the WP editor.

It would be great if someone else could try this and confirm that it works.

Reply To: Can’t edit main theme php files after upgrading to 4.9