Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: Blog Summary function isn’t working as expected

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by George Appiah, Nov 4, 2017.

1. George Appiah

Reply To: Blog Summary function isn’t working as expected, by George Appiah

This seemed confusing so I set the option ‘For each article in feed, show’ to Summary (Dashboard > Settings > Reading).

primary question which is ‘why are not my summaries not showing up on the feed page’.

This setting is for RSS feed, which is a way for people to subscribe to your website and automatically receive your latest posts in their RSS feed reader. The setting has no effect on how content is display on the site itself.

I don’t have an issue with the user clicking on the title to get the full article, but I do have an issue with the full article being displayed without the comment box.

Again, the comment box will only be displayed on the individual article page — so it will not display in archive listings even if you have the full content displaying.

If you want to switch to summaries on archive listings, with the Twenty Seventeen theme you’re using, the only way (without writing code) is to click and insert the MORE button (in the post editor) below the the desired cutoff point. And you’ll have to do this for each post that you publish.

If you want to automate this for all posts, you need to use a child theme. (Note that this is a limitation — or rather design decision — of the specific theme you’re using).

[​IMG]

Hope that clears the apparent confusion.

Reply To: Blog Summary function isn’t working as expected