Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Reply To: 500 Error, how do I recover

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by David Sword, Nov 8, 2017.

1. David Sword

Reply To: 500 Error, how do I recover, by David Sword

Is .htaccess still supposed to be present in the wwwroot?

.htaccess is needed for the post-name URLS, it will generate itself if needed. You may not see it via FTP because its a hidden file, depends on the client.

All this sort of puts me back to the original issue.
    Do I have to now have to completely start over? Including delete the database, rebuilding all the pages, etc. Or is there some sub set of files that I can overlay to get things working again. Maybe keep the DB and the wp-config.php.

You can take your files out, and put into a new wp install, and use your old database. If it was me this is what I’d do:

1. download the problematic /wordpress/ directory for local backup.
    2. via phpmyadmin export and download mysql database for local backup.
    3. rename the problematic /wordpress/ dir to /wordpress-OLD/
    4. upload a fresh clean wordpress download to /wordpress/
    5. copy contents of /wordpress-OLD/wp-config.php and paste in new /wordpress/wp-config.php file (so connects to old database)
    6. copy folder /wordpress-OLD/wp-content/uploads/ and paste folder in /wordpress/wp-content/uploads/

At this point, your sites /wp-admin/ should load with all your content. Because you haven’t copied over /themes/ or /plugins/ the front end will white-screen-of-death – but thereafter you can change themes and add your plugins one-by-one.

Reply To: 500 Error, how do I recover