Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by Tina, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Tina

PLEASE HELP!!!, by Tina

I have an extremely maddening problem. I’ll try to write the short version…

I am being paid to rebuild a nonprofit event’s website. The first problem is that whoever did the site before abandoned the project and no one kept the login info for anything. The only access we have to the account is WordPress login.

After finally getting ahold of the current host (and registrar), he says that they never paid for hosting and wants back pay before he’ll do anything….understandable, but WHY did they not hound them for money or shut the site down long ago if they went this long without paying? It’s a little on them for not pursuing it, in my mind. Though I agree, they should pay.

Anyway, this guy appears to not be very cooperative and although he’s given me several FTP login credentials…none of them are working. I’ve tried everything.

So we still have NO access to the server.

And no access to the registration.

So they went and bought a new domain and hosting, and I attempted to do a migration today. Thought it would be no problem…I’m using the UpdraftPlus plugin, which I’ve used before…and then I get this error message:

“The database server that this WordPress site is running on doesn’t support the collation (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci) used in the database which you are trying to import. You can choose another suitable collation instead and continue with the restoration (at your own risk).”

I got on tech support chat with the host and they say that they cannot upgrade the database for the package we have. And it’s a HUGE increase in fee if we upgrade to something that would have the right database version.

So I’m thinking…get a refund and find a host that has the right database version….
    BUT….remember I cannot access the server? I have NO IDEA what version of database we need!

The only thing I know is that the new host is version 5.5.23 and that’s too high.

So I have an email out to the current host, begging for him to tell me what version database that server is…but I don’t hold much hope he’ll be kind and tell me. Probably he’ll want to be paid. And I don’t blame him, really…but we are talking about a nonprofit that just cannot pay chunks of money like this!

Anyone have any ideas for me? At least how to figure out what database version it is? I have backup files for the database…surely there’s a way to peek in there and find the info? Or would this file be encrypted? I know very little about databases.