Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Need Alternative Plugin Installation Strategy

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by zydanielson, Nov 17, 2017.

1. zydanielson

Need Alternative Plugin Installation Strategy, by zydanielson

Please read carefully before deciding this is spam. It’s not. I am getting errors trying to upgrade 3 different plugins. The errors are all of the same sort: “Update Failed: Could not copy file …” Trust me, the first thing I did was search for this in the forums. What came up was bewildering: 10 pages of 10 posts each. Most of them have the same answers: File permissions are wrong, you don’t have ownership, and running out of disk space. My ISP host assures me none of these things are wrong. So I’m not much interested in finding out why this is happening anymore. I just want to be able to (safely) manually install plugin upgrades. Here’s what I think will work:

1. Deactivate the plugin.
    2. Download the plugin upgrade zip file and unzip it.
    3. Delete from my /wp/wp-content/plugins/ directory, the plugin folder and everything beneath it.
    4. Use FTP to copy the NEW unzipped plugin folder and everything beneath it up to the /wp/wp-content/plugins/ directory
    5. Activate the plugin again.

My questions:

Is this a good manual upgrade strategy? (i.e., will it work?)
    Is it safe?
    Will I ever lose any of the data (content, settings, etc.) from previous usage of the plugin before the update?

And any other advice or cautions anyone may want to give me is appreciated.

Need Alternative Plugin Installation Strategy