Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Is it “ok” to manage photos outside of WP?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by WordPress.org Forums », Oct 16, 2017.

1. WordPress.org Forums »

Is it “ok” to manage photos outside of WP?, by

For years I have used Flickr to host my blog photos, but for a variety of reasons I’d like to move on. I’ve begun the process of migrating my photos to my own host but have found using the WordPress media manager tedious. I use my blog to share photos with family, so each post has 20-45 photos.

Are there any potential problems with using FTP to manage my own photos? I know I won’t be able to see them in the Media Library or Insert Media of WordPress, and that is fine. Migrating them will be a lot of work, so I don’t want to have to unnecessarily do it again in the future because I was shortsighted. Switching web hosts seems like it would be a non-issue. Switching domain names would be hard to automate, but doable. Anything I’m overlooking?

I’d use WordPress’s upload folder so my automated backup would include them. I’m capable of batch editing my photos for resizing. I’d probably use a file structure something like:

/public_html/wp-content/uploads/photos/post1/1.jpg
    /public_html/wp-content/uploads/photos/post1/1-resizedmedium.jpg

Is it “ok” to manage photos outside of WP?