Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Intermittent 500 and 503 Errors

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by jrkamrath, Nov 22, 2017.

1. jrkamrath

Intermittent 500 and 503 Errors, by jrkamrath

Hey, I have a site that is intermittently getting 500 and 503 errors. The site works for hours at a time, and then gets 500/503 errors for 10 minutes to an hour. I know the typical answer is disable your theme/plugins, but between the time the site was working 100% and I started getting the 500/503 errors, I didn’t change or update my theme or any plugins. It’s also hard to test one plugin at a time, because the errors are so irregular. In the error logs, I’m getting a lot of “End of script output before headers:”, which I understand doesn’t give a lot of information about the actual problem. While I can handle HTML and CSS and a little bit of JS, I know zero PHP or anything Apache, so I’m hoping I can resolve this without checking all code on the site.

My hosting provider gave me a typical line about it possibly being the specific server my site is on and that it can be upgraded for a small fee (and that anything beyond that advice cost money for “expert support”). I certainly recognize it could be the server, but I would like to make sure it’s not something more problematic. Anyone have advice?

Intermittent 500 and 503 Errors