Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix How to block “abuse” IP addresses from visiting my site?

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by ismk, Nov 30, 2017.

1. ismk

How to block “abuse” IP addresses from visiting my site?, by ismk

I use WordPress.org for my web site (not a blog/comments disabled, if that matters). When I check my stats, I’ve noticed a LOT of visits from IP addresses that, when I check them, are on an abuse list of some sort. I don’t know if they’re trying to hack my site or what, but these visits can use a lot of resources. Recently, I’m also starting to get email list sign-ups (Mail Chimp link on my site) that are also from “abuse” IPs. I never had these issues in the many years of having my self-coded HTML-based site on the same host, so I can only assume it’s related to WordPress.

What’s the most effective/least techie way to block these IP addresses? (I’ve been doing it manually, but what a hassle.) Is a plug-in the right option, or is there something else I should do? There seem to be a lot of plug-ins that will block visits from these IPs, but most of these plug-ins do FAR more than that, and it seems like overkill. Also I don’t understand at least half of what these plug-ins do, and I hesitate to install a plug-in that I don’t understand at least MOST of what it does.

I’m no longer as tech-savvy as I used to be so I could use some guidance. I’ve searched the forums but haven’t come across an answer. If someone could please point me in the right direction, I’ll be forever grateful! Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

How to block “abuse” IP addresses from visiting my site?