Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix Changing URL

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by mgillen, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mgillen

Changing URL, by mgillen

Hello,

I’m unsure if I’m in the right forum. Anyway, I am helping build a new website and here’s the situation:

• The company already has a website (not WordPress)
    • I built a new website using WordPress. It’s on a completely different host and different domain
    • I would like the URL which currently goes to the old website to go to the new website

I worked with somebody about six years ago that did exactly this, but I don’t remember the steps. I know it involved updating DNS records and changing one or both of the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) options in General Settings; I remember that something went wrong and the website went down for a while, but beyond that, I am unsure.

A further complication, which I’m unsure anyone here would be familiar with, is that the new website uses GoDaddy Managed WordPress for hosting and it doesn’t let me change the the WordPress Address or Site Adress in Wp-Admin; it has a link to a place on the GoDaddy website where I can apparently change these options, but there’s no place I could find to actually accomplish this. If anyone can help with this access, that would also be great (I assume I would have to contact GoDaddy directly for this, but their help has been less than useful in the past).

Anything you can do to help would be wonderful! I guess I would really like a step-by-step guide which I assume must exist somewhere, although some dedicated Googling has come up empty.

Changing URL