Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix 404 only sometimes showing (white page of death)

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by roundmom, Oct 18, 2017.

1. roundmom

404 only sometimes showing (white page of death), by roundmom

I recently changed my permalink structure since I was fed up with super long addresses that included long dates and such. Now I am having a problem with the white page of death.

Here’s my examples.
    Current page that works: wellroundedmom.com/peg-cat-us/
    If someone omits any part of the end (peg-cat-us/), I get a white screen of death. IF they type wellroundedmom.com/peg-cat-us without the final /, or if they type wellroundedmom.com/peg whatever… it all turns to white page of death. But if someone enters something that isn’t part of an existing slug, I get my 404 page. (example: wellroundedmom.com/testing –with or without terminal /)

I manually changed my .htaccess file so that it looks like this:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

and that doesn’t seem to be fixing it.

I also tried “resetting” my permalinks by switching it off of a pretty permalink, saving, then selecting the permalink I want now and saving. Still not helping.

Why is it sometimes returning a 404 and sometimes not? Can I fix it so that the terminal / is automatically appended or so that it doesn’t fail if someone forgets it?

404 only sometimes showing (white page of death)