Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress fix 403 forbidden when updating menu

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by andynz, Apr 4, 2018.

1. andynz

403 forbidden when updating menu, by andynz

I am having a problem when adding custom links to a menu.

The problem first became apparent when I already had a menu comprising 14 top-level custom items (URL=#), each with several sub-items being a mixture of internal and external pages. Adding a further sub-item custom link resulted in:
    You don’t have permission to access /wordpress/wp-admin/nav-menus.php on this server.

I cleared down the menu completely and:
    Added top-level custom item (url=#) (A) and saved.
    Added a sub-item (A1) with link to a pdf document in media library and saved.
    Deleted sub-item (A1) and saved.
    Added top-level custom item (url=#) (B) and saved.
    Added sub-item (A1) again and save failed with 403 error.

Once the 403 error occurs, it is necessary to logoff/logon in order to update the menu again.

I am running with WordPress 4.9.4 and Tempera theme 1.6.2.

The same scenario works Ok on another host with the same versions of WordPress and Tempera. I believe that both are running with php 5.3.x.

My hope is that there is a PHP setting which is causing the problem, but I am in a situation where I might have to tell the host exactly what needs to be changed.

Is it possible that even though I have deleted the menu itself and restarted, there is still something lurking which is screwing things up?

Andy

403 forbidden when updating menu