Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress Error establishing a Database Connection

Discussion in 'Misc WordPress Requests' started by pickledpepper, Oct 19, 2017.

1. pickledpepper

Error establishing a Database Connection, by pickledpepper

I am trying to install WordPress 4.8.2 on my Windows 7 64 pc, using WAMP Server 3.1.0 (64) as the local server. This is the first time I have ever tried doing anything like this. Every time I try to set up WordPress, I get the same error when I attempt to set up the database connection – Error establishing a database connection.

I have tried Googling this error message, but haven’t found anything that has helped me. This is what I have done so far:
    I have successfully installed Wamp Server, and the tray icon says “All services running”.
    I have created a blank MySQL database in Wamp via phpMyAdmin. I have called it “wordpressdb”. The username has been left at the default “root”, and the password field is left blank.
    I have copied the extracted WordPress folder into the C:\wamp64\www folder. I have renamed the WordPress folder to “mysite”.
    In order to set up WordPress I enter “localserver/mysite/” in my browser.This opens the WordPress language selection page. I select English (Australia)
    I then get asked for the database information. I enter:
    Database Name “wordpressdb”
    Username “root”
    Password: field left blank
    Database host: localhost
    Table prefix wp_
    SUBMIT
    Then I get the “Error establishing a database connection”.

Can anyone help me with this?

The reason I am trying to run WordPress on my personal PC is so that I can get used to it before I take the next step and pay for web hosting services.

Error establishing a Database Connection