Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way to approach business directory on page?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by KS5555, Nov 30, 2016.

1. KS5555

Hello, I posted on the main Wordpress forum but have not received an answer. I am fairly new to WP and would appreciate if someone could get me on the right track here, preferably with a free solution.

I have a basic site built with gallery icons on the front page creating a nice design. It’s a nice design and don’t want to change to a generic looking theme. I’d be open to see what’s out there but really don’t want to rebuild everything unless it's necessary, and would prefer to keep this basic sleek black image-heavy look. (Right now I’m in the Oria theme).

Each of the icons has a category (i.e. food and dining). When clicked on it, it goes to a page, called “food and dining.” On that page are some featured listings in a gallery format, with a photograph, maybe some writing, etc.

Underneath that I would like to do directory text listings – name address phone – that link to a map in a professional-looking listing. Say, another 20 restaurants. In a nice looking format, not a cheesy cheap list looking page. I would like to do this without having to enter all 2000 listings one by one. Currently it is a locally-based directory but I would like to expand to some nearby areas soon.

Perhaps subscribing to some sort of directory service, but I’d prefer to just find a way to get the listings in once, quickly since they won’t change that often.

Key also is that I want to be able to keep them on the same page as the featured listings, not have them in their own plugin-generated page.

I am a very much a newbie to WordPress so please keep the explanations extremely basic. I do not know how to code yet.

I have been sifting through plugins, then trying to figure out how to import in listings, on and on but find myself even more buried. Would appreciate any advice on how best to proceed because I am getting nowhere.

And let's not even talk about the events calendar.

Thank you =)

2. Luke Mcc

im not entirely sure i understand what you need, if your looking a map with multiple locations and their contact info, im fairly sure just adding a google map with multiple pins would suffice.

in fact im fairly sure theres a plugin called easy2map

again im unsure if this is what you require, but lets hope this helps