Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the beast caching plugin for wordpress?

Discussion in 'Plugins and Hacks' started by Soulwatcher, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Soulwatcher

2. themonk3y

I used to use a caching plugin name W3 Total Cache on my blog and then some experienced users told me that it does more harm than good. They suggested me to delete the plugin, which was not at all any easy task to do as it leaves a lot of left overs after you delete it all over your server, and use cloudflare a CDN which caches your websites on their servers for visitors to see. They allow you to host 1 website for free. If you are 1 website than it is would be best thing to use for caching your website. Why use cloudflare ? because it does not uses your server resources they have their own servers which store of copy of your website. Where as the free cache plugins use your server resources which might slow your website down.

3. Manoj

4. TIEro

I've used W3 Total Cache and Super Cache. They're both good, but the need for them - and how you use them - depends on your site, traffic and so on. Most small blogs don't need caching, unless you're using shared hosting (which is really slow).

Basically, caching just stores a copy of each page (usually when it is first visited, unless you pre-cache everything), so that the next visitor(s) gets static HTML delivered, instead of WP having to generate the page again. That can be REALLY useful if you have a lot of widgets running or the page is very complicated - assuming it doesn't change often, of course.

I always used W3 for my sites, but switched one of them to Super Cache recently, because it suited the site better. My problem was that I run AdRotate on that site, which meant that every page was regenerated every time to put the next ad in place. Exactly right, of course, but with tens of thousands of hits per day, a lot of processing. I switched to Super Cache because it was easier to switch to a more static model, despite losing a bit of ad rotation.

I'm no techie on caching, but if I were running a small blog which didn't change too often, I'd use Super Cache - it's lighter and simpler. For larger sites, I'd go for W3, because it has a LOT more control over the nitty gritty (assuming you understand it).

5. raytim

6. TheViper

I think I heard that the only time a caching program will slow down your site when your hosting isn't that compatible with it. Though, the one plugin that I tend to use is W3 for all my wordpress sites. You always have to go with the best when you want your site to perform at its very best.

7. Sugarhill

No one told me, but I tried, I think Super Cache and it ground my site to a standstill. I am still putting the site together, so I don't have that much on it and it was still a disaster. I don't think I'll be doing it again, or I'll have someone else look at the site and do it for me, since they would probably have a better idea of how to tweak the settings.

8. tournique

9. Sugarhill