Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update wordpress and installed plugins before completion project?

Discussion in 'Plugins and Hacks' started by vlienhill, Jul 8, 2014.

1. vlienhill

Hi all

I hired an agency to develop my website. It took much longer than planned, but we got very close to completion now :)

One thing that we started discussing, is whether they should deliver the whole website after updating everything (wordpress itself and plugins) to the latest versions, or whether I (the client) should do that.

It would be great to hear your opinions and experience.

Thanks

Eveline

2. Jacob

If they will do the updating at no extra cost (which they should) then I would let them do it, just in case something doesn't go as planned. They likely have more experience with WordPress than you do, so I'd let them update it before they give it to you.

Of course, if they don't update it, it's not a really complicated process and we'd definitely be willing to help you through it. Let us know how everything goes!

3. SimplySidy

Developing and Delivery will definitely get further delayed if you ask them to upgrade everything and then deliver. Whether they do it for free or at additional costs is immaterial just if you cannot delay the site. I have knows one thing from experiences - A website often gets delayed due to frequent upgrades and changes and at the end, when you are ready (or almost ready) there is something or the other that needs to be updated. As such, the websites fail to deliver as expected just so because they got a delayed launch.

In my opinion, you should instead, frame out a better agreement with the Developers about the maintenance of the website (specially if updates are needed in the core code functionality of Wordpress or even their plugins). Apart from that, the plugins can normally be upgraded in just a few clicks (but to ensure smooth running of website, always keep a backup of the last existing site just in case the new upgrades crash the site). This way, you can continue with your website, visitors and even sales if you have them on the site and if anything goes wrong during the real time, the developers will help you out (if the agreement is made that way).

4. TIEro

Forgive me for asking what I think is an obvious question... but why weren't they developing your site on the latest versions of everything? You're not paying them for out-of-date stuff that won't work.

5. james1991

6. TIEro

There's also the question of scalability and future compatibility. Although the most efficient dev work goes right to the core functionality and adjust that, there is a lot to be said for moving your dev work a little more towards the front end. In other words, building on basic WP rather than trying to change how the fundamentals work.

That's how I build: it insulates my plugins from weird minor changes 99% of the time, because the building blocks are standardised. For example, you could go to core and change your registration email text in the php files, but it's far better to write a function that works on the registration hooks and adjusts the pluggables instead - it's more future-proof and any changes in the core of WP are far less likely to affect you.

If your developers are building stuff that will be hard to maintain, you have to ask yourself what you'll do if their company folds. Who will you turn to? Are they complicating matters just to tie you in to a support deal?