Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting with a Wireframe...

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by jonjacob, Jul 13, 2014.

1. jonjacob

I saw another thread about starting with a plan and thought it would be a good idea to discuss wire framing in a separate thread.

First of all, to explain, wire framing is basically drawing up the look, feel and flow of your website using a drawing tool instead of adding any code at all. In the past, a lot of developers have done this on a white board, but I've found some good resources to do this for free online, and I've shared a few names below.

Moqups:
    The Pencil Project:
    Gliffy:

I can't stress enough that setting up a consistent look and flow for your website makes the user expeience more enjoyable - but, it also ensures that you don't miss any crucial elements.

2. limcid

Just be sure that whomever is doing the wireframing actually has some design experience because, generally speaking, web developers don't make for great designers. It's a totally different field of expertise that requires just as serious study and effort as web development (coding, etc.).

Without the proper experience, I think it's better to start with something concrete like a skeleton template that can serve as a solid beginning for the site's basic design. I think it would be easier to tweak an existing framework than to start from scratch. I guess it depends on the design goals, too. Even an experienced web designer can run into problems if the goals are a bit ambitious.

Those tools look pretty good. Maybe they can act as good stand-ins for a designer.

3. jonjacob

limcid, I actually do wire-framing and web app development as well, so I would agree that you want to make sure that you are adding elements to the wireframe that you understand: how to code them (or that there are available plugins available in Wordpress), and that they fit into the overall template and theme you want to use.

Personally, I use wireframing as a spitballing exercise to help me visualize the needs of the user so that I can properly implement them into the design, and ensure that all of the database dependencies are setup.