Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a technology blog, any advice?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by zergeous, Jul 12, 2014.

1. zergeous

Hello,
    I'm going to launch a technology blog this month but I'm a bit stuck at the moment and I would like some advice from you.
    Wordpress has been installed on the server, and I've also found a perfect theme for a technology blog but I'm not able to find any useful plugins. Any must have plugins that I should install?
    Also I'm very bad at SEO and I don't really know what to do to SEO optimize my blog, any ideas what to do?

Cheers!

2. jonjacob

The useful plugins I have found are for attaching to social media.
    I've added:

Facebook Auto Publish to attach the blog post to a Facebook account and automatically post on Facebook for me. That said, if you write late at night or at a time when Facebook is not highly trafficked you might want to hold the posting on Facebook until that point.

Also, Pinterest Pin It Button, to my wife's blog as it is geared to the demographic that Pinterest services, and is filled with recipes and other quippy posts that people might like to share.

3. limcid

Be careful with the SEO optimizing. You'll need to do some googling to find recent (2014) info on how to properly handle the recent changes in how Google ranks websites. There's a lot of SEO optimization info out there, but a lot of it might not be compatible with Google's recent changes. There's tons of info out there, though, you just need to research it. I would hesitate to take anyone's advice without first confirming that the techniques are still valid.

4. jonjacob

5. themonk3y

For SEO I would recommend you SEO by Yoast plugin it is pretty simple to use all you have to do is give it a keyword and then it will tell you how well your post is optimized for the keyword and suggests how you can improve it. It is one of the most popular SEO plugin for WordPress. I don't know any specific plugins for a technology blog I would recommend you to get a plugin to stop spam comments and a cache plugin. I think you should install Magic Action Box if you want to build an email list as it lets you create mailchimp and aweber forms with great ease.

6. Manoj

7. TIEro

There is no such thing as a must-have plugin: install the ones you need, to do the things you want.

That said, I would recommend:

Akismet to block spam,
    Updraft for backups (free and automatic, plus it sends backups to Dropbox),
    Contact Form 7 for your forms,
    Google Analyticator for stats tracking on Analytics.

And if you're running automated feeds, install TIEtools for post expiry. (But then I would say that, since I wrote it... hehe!)

I don't do SEO at all: with the changes Google makes all the time, it just doesn't seem worth it. The best SEO is no SEO, in my opinion - write quality content for real people, and let the engines figure out how awesome you are. For someone who knows nothing about SEO, your best bet is to install something like "All In One SEO" or Yoast and just leave it running.

Of course, SEO professionals will hate me for saying that. :D