Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start with a purpose and a plan

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by druid, Jun 27, 2013.

1. druid

I see so many starting websites and blogs without thinking about the purpose of the site and without coming up with any type of plan. This is a big mistake and will end up with most of these people not making a dime, or making so little it's not really worth it. Establish a purpose and create a plan - that's the foundation for your success.

2. irenesgarcia

3. wander_n_wonder

There's a lot of people who think that the wider the scope of their blog is, the more chances they have of earning money from it. I would say that's not a good idea. If your blog tackles too many things at one time, your visitors won't be motivated to keep on visiting because they don't know if they would find anything that would suit their taste the next time they visit.

What you'd like to actually do is develop your content on a niche and be perceived as an expert. This way, your visitors are going to be more solid and will more likely keep on coming back.

4. goodreplays

I also agree! Because without a foundation structured for your blog, you get really uninterested in less then a week at most. Because you are not genuinely interested. Thank you for sharing this post! Hopefully it may shape a new blogger's perception on blogging and see if it is right for them.

5. Cinnamon

I agree with you OP, that is something that I truly have to work on. To be able to focus on one thing at a time has never been the easiest task. Having a plan will definitely give you a greater idea on what is to become of the website you're creating. Being able to have a plan or "mapped out" idea on the accomplishments you hope to achieve as the end result, would benefit more because you'll be structured and more focused.

6. calicer1996

My purpose is to get rich like the majority of others. But what I have is patience. I think long term. Blogging is no get rich overnight scheme! It takes years to generate traffic and more to get a decent income from that. If you wanna start this journey, I advice you think long term.

7. johnnear

That's a very general idea it applies to anything that you do. If you're planning to make something you almost always have to start off with a well sketched plan. You have to define the purpose and possible problems you might encounter when starting and maintaining your project, which in this case, a website. Many sites get's stale so quick due to the fact that it wasn't well planned out and has no clear goal. Planning ahead is a always a good habit to get into, gives you guidance and a definite goal for whatever you're doing.

8. teabwoi

I agree and I think that if you are starting anything in life then you should at least start with some kind of plan in mind of what you want to accomplish because I really think that if you don't you are literally defeated before you even begin. Too many times I see people just beginning something and never seeing it through all because they never took the time in the beginning to really see what they want and write it down at least.

9. themonk3y

I completely agree with you here. You need to have a plan before you start your website just like a plan is made before starting a business. You need to treat your website/blog like a business if you want to have success.
    I thought the same thing when I started blogging. I have made the mistake of making a blog on a wide topic a couple of time. I currently run a blog about WordPress which is a really broad topic. I am trying to get a more specific niche inside WordPress just not sure what it should be right now.

10. muller

I agree. I've been having a hard time deciding on what to focus on my portfolio blog. On the one hand you don't want to limit yourself, on the other being to broad means no one has a reason to read your blog or hire you. Would it be too confusing to have more than one portfolio/blog site?

11. Soulwatcher

Although I agree its a good idea to come up with a plan. How ever 99.98% of the websites out there so not make a dime. And out of that 2%, .02% of the people make enough to make a living off their website. So the moral of the story is if your making a website for profit you more then likly are going to be very disappointed!

Greg