Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search bar with no results

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by DMDComposer, Feb 5, 2016.

1. DMDComposer

Hi, Im not allowed to link my website due to being a new member but here is my problem:

I'd like the search function in the nav bar to search the categories for my music, such as: Drama, Thriller, Adventure, Suspense, etc etc... I have all my blog posts with tags and cateogries of the genres they fit, such as drama, adventure etc. Except when I use the search bar it gets zero results not matter what I do.

Any help?

Thanks ;D

2. OhioTom76

There could be a number of things causing this issue, but in order to narrow it down, we would need to know a few more things about how your current Wordpress site is set up and configured:

What theme are you using? Is it a custom theme you or someone you know built for you? Or is it a standard theme like "Twenty Ten"? If you are using a custom theme you built yourself, try switching over to one of the default themes that came with Wordpress and then do a Search and check if you see any results showing up. If you are seeing results when using a different theme, then the issue is with the theme you are trying to use.

If you are not seeing any search results even with one of the default Wordpress themes, try disabling your plugins one at a time and checking to see if Search works in between each one you disable.

Off the top of my head, it sounds like you may be using some custom theme that wasn't developed properly, and it may be missing a layout for the Search results. Or it has one, but it's not configured properly to actually display them. If it was actually completely missing a layout for displaying the Search results, it should theoretically revert to your Blog Index layout, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing your site.

3. DMDComposer

Thank you very much for replying.

I'm using the x-theme. if you'd like to view my site its just my full name, dillonderosa. You should see the searchbar on the header in the right. Try typing in drama and youll see nothing comes up. However you can see on the search page to the right a sidebar with all the genre categories, and if you click them it brings you to them. So like I'm not sure why search function isn't working.

I've tried disabling all the plugins and still no fix. =(

Here is my searchform.php

Code:
    <form method="get" id="searchform" class="form-search" action="<?php echo esc_url( home_url( '/' ) ); ?>">
      <label for="s" class="visually-hidden"><?php _e( 'Search', '__x__' ); ?></label>
      <input type="text" id="s" class="search-query" name="s" placeholder="<?php esc_attr_e( 'Search', '__x__' ); ?>" />
    </form>
    I heard sometimes this code could be wrong, but the search page opens, its just not finding anything lol.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you so much

4. DMDComposer

5. Sara Leonard