Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Responsive vs Nonresponsive theme

Discussion in 'Themes and Templates' started by Panda, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Panda

I have used a lot of themes in the past - both responsive and Nonresponsive. Right now, my main website is using a Nonresponsive theme (because I'm just using a lite version of the theme. The premium version is responsive). I'm quite content with it even though the site is not responsive. I've noticed that some of the ads when I used responsive themes in the past did not show in mobile devices.

What type of theme do you use? Do you use a responsive or a Nonresponsive theme and why?

2. Soulwatcher

I use both non responsive and responsive themes and I have a theme switcher that switches the themes depending if the visitor is mobile or computer viewer. It cost me $24 for the mobile theme.

Edit: I just wanted to add out of the 101 people on my facebook only 3 of them use a computer. The rest of them use a cell phone or tablet. Mobile view is the wave of the future!

Greg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. SimplySidy

It depends on the target client base and the data from Analytics. Normally, I prefer to have a non responsive theme as tweaking them is easy as I dont have to worry about how the theme looks on the handheld devices. I know that it will never fit in and hence no issues. But when tweaking a responsive theme, tha chances of landingin a mess are much higher as I do not have any handheld devices to test how the theme looks on them. I had messed up an existing site a few months earlier and I had to interact with the client a lot who kept sending me snapchot from his handheld for areas where we had messed it :D

4. themonk3y

5. NielsFF

Panda, I would always go for responsive. This gives you 2 main advantages:

- Customers using there cellphone can see your website good. The percentage of browsing on the cellphone is still growing so it is a waist if you want to let customers see a crappy website.
    - In the eyes of Google, responsive is one of 200 ranking factors of a website. So you will get that little benefit for SEO.

I hope this helps!

6. raytim

I use both responsive & non-responsive themes. Actually I didn't care much about the responsiveness when I bought the themes. I install the Jetpack plugin for every WP site I have; the Jetpack provides mobile site version so with just 1 click, I can have a simple, user-friendly mobile version of the site.

7. gurami

8. missbishi

Responsive looks like the way forward. As Soulwatcher points out, more and more people use mobile phones to connect to the internet. It is highly unlikely that, should they fail to access your blog on their phone, they will make a mental note to do so when they have access to a laptop/desktop. it is more likely that they will simply forget to visit.

9. tournique

10. zenfive

I agree, responsive themes are definitely the way forward. It's important to keep in mind that potential customers/visitors to your site are not very likely to visit your site again/be interested in your product or service if it doesn't work properly, and considering the high amount of smart phone users these days - I believe it's crucial to have a theme that works well on all devices.

11. Panda

For those who say that responsive and nonresponsive depends on the visitor, could you please give us some guidelines regarding this?

Who are the visitors who are more inclined to responsive themes and who are those who are more inclined to nonresponsive themes? My take on this is that most websites that merely show articles should be responsive, am I right?

12. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

Actually, I think that Local Business websites should all be responsive as they are actually going to make money from people who are searching for them "right now" so to speak.
    I needed a tow truck a couple of weeks ago and I just entered "My City" and "tow truck" and out of the three I looked at the third one was super easy to read, had a tap-to-call feature and I called them and used that Tow Company as I was sitting by the road and needed one fast!

Websites that have news and large amounts of traffic I suppose would be a good read on a tablet or smart-phone, but honestly, with the ease of being able to purchase and customize so many beautiful really nice looking themes these days, I think it's just good sense to make your site responsive any way, like this site is :)

13. tournique

14. zenfive

Yeah I agree, simplicity and effectiveness of a website are very important, especially nowadays. If people can't find what they're looking for on your site, or how it works, or if it just looks all over the place, they'll simply click away and try the next link. That's why it's important to take into account not only the design aspect, but also the user experience (UX) aspect. That's why I think responsive themes work very well.

15. tournique

16. joshua minaya

Actually i did not really know that nonresponsive themes did not work well on mobile devices i am hearing this for the first time.

17. Panda

Well then I'm glad that I was able to provide you with this info. Unresponsive themes are okay on mobile devices but not on smarphones that have screen sizes of less than 4 inches. Responsive themes automatically detect the size of the screen of the phone in order to bring the visitor the best reading experience available. In unresponsive themes, visitors need to zoom in and out of the website just to view some things that they cannot.

18. tournique

19. SimplySidy

The best possible way is to set up Google Analytics on your website. The recent updates that were rolled on (sometime in late 2013 and early 2014) have now detailed information on Browsers used, Devices Used and Operating Systems used when viewing your website. Use this information to determine what % of your visitors use mobile and other non-regular devices to view your website. If you have some more than say 10% visitors visiting your website via non-regular computers, I would surely recommend to go responsive. The earlier, the better.

Responsive will not break your site on the traditional computers, but will allow the website rendered the right way on mobiles and other devices.

20. Panda

My main gripe regarding responsive themes is that the ads don't show quite right. For instance I use a 728 x 90 leaderboard, it won't look good on a responsive theme. If I slap a responsive ad on a responsive theme, it doesn't show if visitors use a PC to view the website... :(

Still, I do have 2 responsive websites and 3 non-responsive websites. And you know what? My nonresponsive website is currently outperforming my responsive websites in terms of ad revenue. Just saying...